Series: Losing It #1.5
Published by Ebury (Random House), William Morrow (Harper Collins imprint) on 13th August 2013
Genres: Contemporary, New Adult, Romance
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss
Buy on Amazon US • Buy on Amazon UK
Garrick Taylor and Bliss Edwards managed to find their happily-ever-after despite a rather . . . ahem . . . complicated start. By comparison, meeting the parents should be an absolute breeze, right?
But from the moment the pair lands in London, new snags just keep cropping up: a disapproving mother-in-law-to-be, more than one (mostly) minor mishap, and the realization that perhaps they aren't quite as ready for their future as they thought.
As it turns out, the only thing harder than finding love is keeping it.
REVIEWED BY KELLY
I am a HUGE fan of Cora Carmack and would happily read her shopping list if I was given a copy of it! One of the highlights of my year so far was meeting her in London in June and getting my books signed. Any chance I get to read more of her work is a chance I am going to grab with both hands.
I was thrilled when I heard she was writing a Garrick and Bliss novella, and even more thrilled to receive an ARC from William Morrow via Edelweiss. Thank you, William Morrow!
Keeping Her was, for me, super short (I needed MORE and almost CRIED when it suddenly ended at 72%!! The other 28% was made up of previews of the other books in the series) but also super sweet. I LOVED being back in Garrick and Bliss’ world.
Things haven’t been plain sailing since the end of Losing It. Garrick and Bliss’ lives have changed. They’ve moved to Philadelphia and are both working lots of jobs to keep their income coming in and to keep doing what they love.
Bliss is still as quirky and awkward as ever. She has doubts over whether she’s good enough for Garrick. She’s nervous about meeting his parents – especially his mum.
Garrick is scared to be happy in case it all goes wrong. He’s afraid of going home to London and being back under his parents’ control – something he worked hard to be free from. He’s worried about how his parents – his mum – will treat Bliss.
So, as you can see, they’ve both got a lot on their minds as they jet off to London …
OK, so here’s what I thought …
I LOVED Graham and Rowland – they were just TOO funny and had very typically British sense of humours.
I disliked Garrick’s mum and just may have taken to bashing her on Twitter to vent my frustration with her! She *may* have grown on me, however, so I take *some* of my harshness back, not all of it, though!
Keeping Her was full of pop-culture references and I loved spotting them. My favourite was Bliss likening herself to Alex Mack – you remember Alex Mack, right? OK, so some of you may not be old enough to remember her, and if you’re not then here’s an explanation! I was sat in a book shop’s cafe when I read that bit and I had to try really hard to contain my loud laughing so that I didn’t attract glares from all of the “serious” bookish types!
I loved reading how Garrick and Bliss’ relationship developed and grew in the time they were in London. They had some real, grown up decisions to make and seeing them work through them together was proof of how much they’d developed as a couple. In Losing It Bliss would have definitely hidden from, and tried to avoid telling Garrick, the problem that was bothering her but not so in Keeping Her. She told him and they worked things out together. Yay Team GARBLISS! Yeah, I just made that up, not sure that it works!
Most of all, though, I LOVED reading Garrick’s POV. He is definitely one of my favourite book boys (well, OK, book MEN) and it was a delight to get in to his mind and see his insecurities and worries and his struggles to stay away from his parents’ social scene with all it’s fakery.
Anyway, enough of me rambling. All you need to take from this review is that YES – you should definitely read Keeping Her. You’ll get an extra little look in to the life of Garrick and Bliss. You’ll get Cora Carmack’s brilliant writing. You’ll get references you can relate to. You’ll get Bliss’ awkwardness and Garricks swoon-worthy-ness. And most of all you’ll get to do a happy sigh when you’ve finished reading. Go for it!